The job of the evangelist is not done until the evangelized becomes the evangelist.
Free faith-sharing tools for horse lovers
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17 KJVR

Evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where to find food.

Free faith-sharing tools for the workplace

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brothers building Brothers - 12/27/10

Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.  To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.  Colossians 1:28-29

A friend of mine sent me these two verses a few weeks back as an encouragement and as often happens to me, when I am encouraged I am also challenged.  In this passage (the paragraph begins in verse 24) Paul is reviewing, and I cannot help but think, marveling in his call to gospel ministry.  As an act of His stewardship and to fulfill His word, God has called on this “chief of sinners” to make known the mystery, which is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”.

The Apostle Paul was a man who had come to that most satisfying and rewarding place of knowing his purpose; that idea, that focus, that all consuming mission for which God had saved him.  As a minister of the gospel I realize that this mission to which Paul was called is also my mission and my call and I am just as amazed as Paul that I am part of God’s plan to fulfill His word.  But I must point out something about verse 28.  Paul writes, “Him we preach.”  This is a collective effort.  No matter whom you wish to include in that pronoun “we”, Paul is clearly indicating that he is not on this mission alone.

We are all on this mission together, we should all be preaching and warning and teaching and presenting new believers, perfected in Christ to our God.  But lest we get any idea that God actually needs us we must read verse 29.  Our labor is “according to His working which works in us mightily.”   It is comforting to know that the mission is first of all God’s mission and I am His tool.  Once again words cannot express the wonder I feel at the awesomeness of our God’s plan for us.

Humbled by his wisdom,
Your brother Jack

No comments: