The job of the evangelist is not done until the evangelized becomes the evangelist.
Free faith-sharing tools for horse lovers
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17 KJVR

Evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where to find food.

Free faith-sharing tools for the workplace

Monday, March 22, 2010

Brothers building Brothers - 3-22-10

So Gehazi followed after Naaman. And when Naaman saw him running after him, he got down from the chariot to meet him and said is all well? And he said, all is well. My master has sent me, saying, behold, even now there have come to me from mount Ephraim two young men of the sons of the prophets: please give them a talent of silver, and two changes of clothes. 2 Kings 5:21-22

I remember this story being told from the time I was a child in Sunday School and as with all the adventures of Elijah and Elisha it fascinated me. The relationship these two men had with God was unique in that they seem to know the thoughts and actions of certain individuals who were not in their presence. Undoubtedly these were revealed to them by God for His purposes. As I was reading this morning, I realized just how much Gehazi is an illustration of me in my daily walk with God.

Gehazi had been with Elisha for some time and he had seen his master in action; what made him think that he could get this little plot past Elisha. I'm thinking as I read that Gehazi sure is foolish to try and slip one past a guy like Elisha, and yet I try the same thing over and over. Every time I make a deliberate decision to sin I'm basically trying to slip one past God. Maybe he'll overlook it this time or maybe he's too busy to notice.

I believe the key to why this happens to me is found in the text. When Naaman asked Gehazi "Is all well"; Gehazi's answer reveals that he has lost focus on reality; "All is well", he said. His focus is on himself and his covetousness and he is blind to truth. The moment that I, in my mind surrender to sin my focus leaves the truth of God's word and I begin to operate in my own little world of sin in which I make up all the rules that govern reality. That allows me to sin and think God won't notice.

Father I pray I will be sensitive to Your Spirit's conviction and that I will stay focused on Jesus today.

Praying the same for you,

Your brother Jack

No comments: