The job of the evangelist is not done until the evangelized becomes the evangelist.
Free faith-sharing tools for horse lovers
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17 KJVR

Evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where to find food.

Free faith-sharing tools for the workplace

Monday, March 15, 2010

Brothers building Brothers - 3/15/10

And I said, “This is my anguish; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High.” I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, and talk of Your deeds. Your way O God is in the sanctuary; who is so great a God as our God. Psalm 77:10-13

The writer of this psalm is in a desperate situation. In verse two we read, “My soul refused to be comforted”. There is a little note here for me and I believe for all of us who from time to time wallow in depression and self pity. There is a choice we make to not be comforted. I know it is hard to hear but I reject the notion that is so prevalent in the Christian community that “mental illness” is somehow beyond the bounds of sin and God’s remedy for it. What struck me this morning was that the psalmist made a second choice.

“This is my anguish; but”. This is the same choice I have been forced to make so many times. “These are my circumstances; they do not seem to be changing but I now choose not to allow them to dictate my attitude.” Instead: “I will remember”, “I will remember”, “I will remember”, “I will also meditate . . . and talk”. His choice was to shift his focus from his circumstances to his God.

Who is so great a God as our God? Do I really believe that or do I believe that my “condition” whatever the diagnosis is, is greater than my God? Today, if you’re stuck in a negative choice you’ve made, do what the psalmist did; make another choice!

Choosing to focus on God,

Your brother Jack

No comments: